Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Hinase Hachimangu


q810

Hinase, the small port town on the coast of Okayama near to the border with Hyogo, is where I began my walk along the Chugoku 33 Kannon Pilgrimage. There are several shrines in the town but I only passed by one, the Hachimangu.

q811

Located on a small hill overlooking the harbor, it is a fairly standard, small Hachiman Shrine

q812

However, being in the former province of Bizen, the Komainu were made of Bizenware ceramic, a very popular style throughout southern Okayama.

q813

There was no signboard and nobody around to ask, so I have no more details other than there was a small secondary shrine, an Inari, though there were no little kitsune statues....

q815

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your notes, namely Bizenware ceramic and kitsune statues
    I have read from Wikipedia more information about Bizenware ceramic and kitsune and i enjoyed getting to know.

    ReplyDelete