Sunday, March 1, 2015

Buddhas & Bodhisattvas at Kobo-ji Temple


h7285

Kobo-ji is a small temple on the river bank in Hagi, Yamaguchi. According to the temples founding legend Kukai (Kobo Daishi) stopped here on his way back from China and enjoyed the hot spring located next door.

h7287

Sopposedly founded in 807, the year after he was here. It is now a Shingon temple.

h7289

There are quite a lot of statues in the grounds, The one above is something I have never seen before and have no idea who it represents. If any reader has any idea please leave a comment.

h7295

I enjoy the diversity of statues found at many temples, though it is not always clear to me exactly which figure they are of. Some I know for sure, the one below is Jizo. but many are still beyond my limited knowledge.

h7297

1 comment:

  1. A walker in resting position, a jug of water and their sandals, maybe

    ReplyDelete